All tours require a lot of planning but it is best to make sure you are prepared well in advance so that there are no nasty surprises as you prepare to leave!
Tracy Edmundson manages the club tour applications for NLD RFU and is available on the details further down this page to assist you wherever possible. For school tours the contact is Roger Wilkes, all details regarding school tours are available further down this page.
Outgoing Overseas Tours
All of the forms that you require will be available on the RFU Website under the Managing Tours section, link below and the full guidelines are outlined in Regulation 10.3.
If you are planning to tour within England, you do NOT need to obtain NLD or the RFU’s permission. You do however need to ensure that you take out adequate travel AND accident/medical expenses cover. Be careful as most normal travel policies will NOT cover you for any medical expenses or disability benefits that arise from an injury sustained whilst playing. An extension to your existing RFU policy that covers tours can be arranged and details can be found in the Managing Rugby section on the RFU’s website
If you are going anywhere else in the world you must:-
- arrange appropriate insurance as mentioned above;
- obtain the permission of the Rugby Union or Federation of the COUNTRY that you are visiting. This does NOT mean the permission of someone at the club(s) you are playing or the tournament organiser or the local/regional equivalent of NLD. Usually, an e-mail to that Union will bring forth their permission by advising them of the information that is contained on the RFU’s application form. If you need any help in finding the appropriate contact, please e-mail Tracy and she will try to help but the internet is the best source of information;
- once you have the permission of the Union or Federation being visited and have arranged your insurance, complete the RFU’s application to tour form and submit it to Tracy at the address below with a copy of the permission and the insurance policy if it is NOT an extension to your RFU policy;
- once received and assuming everything is OK (eg the number of adults supervising a junior tour must be adequate), Tracy will then add NLD’s confirmation to your application and forward this to Twickenham;
- the RFU will send their formal permission direct to the person named on the form.
Incoming Overseas Tours
If you are to play an overseas side (excluding England) then you must also obtain permission of the RFU by completing the appropriate form and following similar steps as for outgoing tours ie, ensure that your visitors have proper permission from their Union or Federation, send the form to Tracy and she will forward onto the RFU.
This, alongside inadequate insurance, is where most tours fall down and is the area that causes most issues. You need to give at least ONE MONTH’S NOTICE to the RFU so you really need to get your form to Tracy 5/6 weeks before you are due to go – 3 or 4 days is no good!!
FAO Tracy Edmundson
Northgate Business Centre
[email protected] / 07970 727683
Schools are also required to seek permission from the RFU for any incoming & outgoing tours and cross border fixtures. This applies to fixtures within the British Isles as well as overseas. There are separate permissions for cross border fixtures in Wales, Scotland or Ireland (North and South come under the Irish Rugby Football Union).
Please find attached all of the relevant documentation that you need. This information should all be returned to Roger Wilkes, NLD Head of Education, at least two months ahead of the tour or fixture. Should you not receive RFU permission then your insurance could be compromised so it is really important that you take the time to read the attached information carefully.
All tour operators have been notified of the change in process (forms previously were submitted to the ERFSU directly) and have been made aware that only the schools are able to apply and liaise for approval to tour.
Roger’s details are below and he is happy to help with any queries you may have when completing the forms so don’t be afraid to ask for assistance or advice if you need it.
[email protected] / 01335 343443